Saturday, March 8, 2008

Two Little Quotes and Another Snowstorm


Eggplant is a particularly good source of an antioxidant called chlorogenic acid, which is among the most potent free-radical scavengers ever discovered.
-- Dr. Weil

"Why is it that these monstrous triviliaties are so engrossing?"
-- George Orwell, in "Inside the Whale"

It is 8-pm-ish. We are in the middle of a raging snowstorm. Actually, a blizzard. I went outside to try and find Blackie, the stray cat we've been harboring the past week, nursing him back to health from a bad ear infection. Never mind that it's already like Siberia outside, the snow out back is four and five feet high in places; the "mound" out front, covering the entire length of the yard, is almost eight feet high. If you were to step out my front door, you would encounter a hill of the stuff and in order to reach the road you would have to climb up and over it and then jump down, but more than likely you'd sink in up to your hips and be stuck, which is what happened to me last month, out back. (Thank goodness I got rescued, thanks to an observant neighbor who happened to be looking out her window when I fell in.)

Anyway, about half an hour ago I walked out from the back door to the road from the carport but the wind was so fierce and visibility so poor and the snow blasts almost blinding, that I gave up my search. We're going to have to do some serious shoveling tomorrow morning. I hope Blackie's not buried somewhere, unable to get out. I have never seen this much snow in my entire life. This is March 8th. And it just keeps coming, and coming, and coming. And we are running out of places to put it.


No comments: